Remember when I teased these bites in my vacation eats recap oh, like, a month ago? Yeah, neither do I.
I do remember eating them, though, because they are stinkin’ delicious, especially if you love the peanut butter and banana combo. They got me through rounds of hiking, and I made them again this week to get me through rounds of phone calls at work (almost the same thing). And I’m not just calling them “chunky” monkeys because I’m using bananas and peanut butter… there really are some nuts in there for some crunchy texture! Bites don’t have to be boring.
Also can we talk for a moment about the term ‘chunky monkey’? Who the f coined that? Didn’t they realize that monkeys everywhere might be offended? There could be serious repercussions. Ever seen Planet of the Apes?
Actually, I haven’t seen Planet of the Apes. Any of the installments. I don’t even know what they’re about. Maybe a bunch of monkeys going nuts because they ate these delicious bites? So they’re really not mad that we called them chunky. You’re beautiful monkeys! Believe me.
Chunky Monkey Energy Bites
Makes 15 bites
- 2 bananas, ripe
- 4 large dates (make sure they’re soft, soak in water for a few hours if not)
- 1/4 c. ground flax seeds
- 1 c. peanut butter
- 1 1/2 c. oats
- 1/4 c. chia seeds
- 1/2 c. peanuts
- In a food processor, pulse bananas, dates and flax until smooth.
- Add peanut butter and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add oats and chia seeds, blending until the mixture starts to stay together.
- Add peanuts, pulsing just a few times. The mix should be rolling into a ball at this point.
- Roll into 1″ balls. Store in fridge.
Questions of the Day:
>> Have you seen Planet of the Apes? Am I un-American for not?
>> Should I have called these “Elvis Bites?” Or does that sound mean, too?
>> How was your labor day!? I had cake, so mine was good.