That should come as no surprise at this point, but I’m just letting you know for the record (or if you know any cutie patooties). I’m not one of those debbie downers who can’t stand to see other people be happy on Valentine’s Day, though – it’s actually quite the opposite. I love to see my friends, family, and really anyone else treat their loved one with a little extra somethin’ somethn’ on this holiday.
A few years ago, one of my friend’s boyfriends wanted to leave a surprise for her outside her dorm door for Valentine’s Day. He needed let into our building, and I was more than willing to oblige him. When I saw the bouquet he brought her, I became really giddy. I’m the same way when I catch my friends and their guys or girls sneaking loving looks or whispering inside jokes. I’m happy when my friends are happy.
That’s what I’m celebrating today: the little extra somethin’ somethin’ we can all do for our loved ones. What better way to celebrate this day of L-O-V-E than with some chocolate and cherry in the form of brownies? And the best part? These brownies are hiding a sweet little extra somethin’ somethin’ in them as well. 😉
Very Cherry Brownies
Makes about 15 small brownies
- 1 c. beets, roasted
- 1 c. frozen cherries, thawed
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 4 tbsp. almond meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare an 8×8 pan by greasing with coconut oil.
- In a food processor or high powered blender, purée beets and cherries.
- Add banana to food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add eggs and honey. Process until smooth.
- Add cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and vanilla. Pulse until combined.
- Add coconut oil and almond meal, mixing until the almond meal is incorporated.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Brownies are done when a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
I made these brownies especially for Davida’s “The Great Valentine’s Day Healthy Bake-Off.” Make sure you head over to her link-up to see all the other love-themed treats!
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY! I love you all. xoxo
Question of the Day:
>> What are you doing to celebrate today?