Well, I feel like Monday came and went, and I didn’t even comprehend it! Yesterday sure was busy for me, and if that is any indication of what’s to come for the next several weeks… I’ll take it! I was so looking forward to my internship, and yesterday did not disappoint.
One thing I do know is that it is going to take effort to get used to my new schedule. Like I said yesterday, food prep will be a huge help so that when I come home after work, I can quickly grab dinner and veg out (both on the couch and in my meals ;)!).
I gave a teaser of a new recipe in my #MIMM post, and I am here to deliver! This is going to get in my regular meal rotation for sure because it easily makes a few bulk meals to keep in the fridge for a healthy, reheated (delicious) weeknight meal.
The lentils are inexpensive and packed with nutrients, making my Lentil Stuffed Peppers a great vegetarian option.
Lentil Stuffed Peppers
- 3/4 cup green lentils
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- a few shakes red pepper flakes, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 1/4 cups canned puréed tomatoes
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 5 white button mushrooms, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook lentils according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Sauté garlic and onion until onion is almost translucent.
- Add all spices, stir. Cook for about one minute.
- Add puréed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer.
- Incorporate carrots and mushrooms into mixture, simmering for a few minutes.
- Turn off heat and add lentils. The filling should be scoop-able, not thin and watery.
- Spray bottom of a small baking dish with cooking spray. Evenly divide stuffing among peppers.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Enjoy!
Like I said, these reheat well. I recommend topping them with shredded mozzarella cheese! You could even do something with nutritional yeast if you are vegan and want a bit of cheesy flavor.
I also have to add here that before I found the correct size baking dish, I oiled two other pans. I will admit this with no shame. I vastly overestimated the size of my six pepper halves.
Have a great Tuesday!
Question of the Day:
Do you prefer Mexican or Italian stuffed peppers? I don’t have a preference!