Guys. You’re going to think I’m nuts (…wait, this space IS called Nutty for Life so that should come as no surprise…).
I went there.
I had been curious for some time, and this morning felt like the perfect opportunity to test my theory.
I put spinach…
in my oatmeal.
And it was GOOD.
I figured that if we all put it in smoothies for some extra greens, why not blend it into my oatmeal? I knew I woudn’t be seeing many veggies today, and I wanted to get in at least some nutrients. I encourage you to try this! You won’t be sorry.
Hidden Spinach Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 egg white
- splash of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 banana, sliced thin
- Blend water and spinach until no pieces of spinach are left (I used my liquify setting on my blender, and it took maybe 20 seconds).
- Heat spinach mixture, almond milk, egg white, and oats in a pot.
- Keep stirring occasionally so that the oats do not stick to the bottom.
- When the oats boil, add in chia seeds. Stir.
- What a few minutes, then whip in sliced bananas. The oats will thicken after you add the bananas, which act as an emulsifier.
- Top however you please (strawbs for me, obviously!).
I’m sure that these would make great chocolate oats if the green color freaks you out. The banana is essential, in my opinion, to add a little sweetness and help mask any spinach flavor that may have tried to come through.
Have a great day 🙂
Question of the Day:
What have you tried to add more nutrients to before?